Skip to main content

The Conquered Banner

Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Abram J. Ryan autograph.

Identifier: MM.1987.024
Scope and Contents

Autograph signed “With much Respect, Abram J. Ryan” and photograph labeled ‘Poet and Priest. Wrote “The Conquered Banner.”’ Framed together. Note on back of frame: This photograph and autograph were given to Mrs. Felecia Grundy Foster of Nashville, Tennessee by Father Ryan. Grandmother of Mrs. Felecia Grundy Steger Gibson, 608 Hill Ave. West, Knoxville, Tennessee. Sent by Mrs. T(?) M. Steger.

Dates: 1865-1875

Chattanooga Daily Times Confederate Reunion Supplement, October 25, 1921.

Identifier: Q Ephemera 2012.002
Scope and Contents

Chattanooga Daily Times Confederate Reunion Supplement, October 25, 1921. Jefferson Davis on the cover. Page with Father Abram Ryan and his poem The Conquered Banner. 16 pp. Very brittle and in pieces. (ephemera)

Dates: 1921

Father Abram Ryan’s original manuscript of the poem “The Conquered Banner.” Gift of Mrs. Samuel H. Keener.

Identifier: MM.1976.010
Scope and Contents

Original manuscript of the Civil War poem “The Conquered Banner” by Father Abram Ryan + 1867 letter from Ryan to Mrs. Ricardi. ALS 2 pp. Also, photocopies 1960s letters from Edward A. Egan to Mrs. J.C. Burke re: biography of Father Ryan.

Dates: 1866-1867

Hall and Stakely Papers.

Identifier: MSC 0017
Scope and Contents Papers of the Hall and Stakely families. William Maulsby Stakely (1804-1898), born in Hawkins County, Tenn, married Sarah Smith (1811-1857) in 1828. They lived in Madisonville, Monroe County, Tenn. He was a postmaster and merchant. Moved to Union Springs, Ala, in 1863. Two of the Stakely daughter married two Hall cousins. Martha Stakely married Judge Elijah T. Hall of Knoxville in 1860. Caroline Stakely married James Spears Hall in 1874. James Hall ran a general store in Knoxville, which...
Dates: 1825-1952