Bridges -- Tennessee
Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:
Aerial photograph of the Anchorage Restaurant and Marina and Cate’s Bridge, ca. 1950. Restaurant was owned by Stuart McCroskey (later sold to ______ Creech, and later it burned). Located on Knox and Blount County line. Provides view of the railroad bridge and Cate’s Bridge; Jewish Country Club was located on the hill above the restaurant. Riverlake Lodge Motel was out of photograph, to the right.
Committee report on “Bridges across Clinch and Holston Rivers, Virginia and Tennessee”, House of Representatives, 61st Congress, 2nd Session, Report No 938, House Calendar No 162, April 5, 1910.
Civil War era photograph (albumen print) of two bridges over the Holston River near Knoxville. Inscription on the verso of the photograph: “Two bridges crossing the Holston River, near Knoxville. The bridges were near Fort Sanders. This came from a collection of photos from GAR in Canton, Illinois.
Letter from G. [Ganum] Vineyard , postmarked Shelbyville, Tenn., to his wife Nancy Vineyard, Tampico P. B., Grainger County, Tenn. January 4, 1863. ALS 1 pc. (3 pp.). Re: Battle of Murfreesboro on Stone River; details of battle conditions; heard the Yanks destroyed the salt works and burned Loudon bridge; not getting letters from her; names people who should write to him, etc.
Files (ca. .75 linear feet) documenting repairs and condition reports on the Gay Street Bridge (1924-1976), plus one drawing of “Locust Street Bridge” (1925) and one file on repairs of the Church Street Viaduct (1973).
J. R. Cunningham Grocery Store and horse & wagon (in 1904 Knoxville City Directory: James R. Cunningham, grocer)?; badly faded, sepia. 5 1/2 x 4”, mounted; Bridge or dam construction? no ID. 5x7” mounted, sepia.
Material on J. Carroll Cate (1896-1980)and his campaigns running for Knox County, Tenn., sheriff. Includes color pictures of John J. Duncan, signed; Senate Joint Resolution No. 64 re: naming J. Carroll Cate Bridge, signed by Ned R. McWherter and Governor Ray Blanton; political ephemera re: sheriff’s elections; TVA&I resolution on the death of J. Carroll Cate. J. Carroll Cate was the jailer of the Knox County Jail during the Knoxville Race Riot 1919 and was elected sheriff 1936-1940.
Photograph album with Gay Street Bridge, ca. 1898. Donated by The Walden’s Ridge Historical Association. (The last four photographs include [Gay Street Bridge], ca. 1898; other photographs are unidentified). 1 album with 16 photographs. From an unidentified estate, Signal Mountain, Tenn.
Photographs Showing Progress of Construction Gay Street Viaduct. Knoxville, Tennessee. 1919. L. W. Frierson, Supervising Engr. Taken by Thompson Brothers, Knoxville, Tenn. 1 album 7 x 12.5”: 25 photographs mounted on linen.
June 6, 1863, letter from Sgt. R. P. Everett, 6th Florida Regt., at camp near Loudon, Tenn., to Miss [McMillan]. ALS 2 pp. Original + typed transcription. Mentions guarding the bridge over Flat Creek (Mascot, Knox County, Tenn.).
One stereograph. SPC 2016.002 Tennessee and K. & C. R.R. Bridge. Stereoscopic Views of Knoxville and Vicinity by McCrary & Branson, Photograph and Portrait Artists, Dealers In Mouldings, Frames, Photographic & Artists Materials. 130 Gay Street, Knoxville, Tenn. Old railroad bridge over Second Creek, Knoxville, Tenn.
SPC 2014.011.001 View of Unaka Springs, Tenn. Taken July 1918. Approx. 4x6”, glued to black paper. Faded. Shows view of river, bridge. SPC 2014.01.002 View of Chestoa, Tenn, 1/2 mile from Unaka Springs. View of river, bridge, buildings. Approx. 4x6”, glued to black paper. Faded.