Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 30 of 34

Airplane Filling Station photographs and blueprints. (Gift of Mrs. Elmer Nickle)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0028
Scope and Contents Material on the Airplane Filling Station on Clinton Highway (near Callahan Road), built in 1929 by Henry and Elmer Nickle. Collection includes: original 5x7” photograph of the Airplane Filling Station; one 11x14” copy photograph of Airplane Filling Station (with Henry & Elmer Nickle); 193_ estimate from Cockrum Lumber Company (materials to build Airplane Filling Station); September 6, 1998 article by Barbara Asbury in Knoxville News-Sentinel with photograph and caption about Airplane...
Dates: 1920s-1930s

Architectural and design plans, the Gateway Pavilion at Volunteer Landing (Knoxville Regional Visitors’ Center)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0027
Scope and Contents Architectural and design plans, the Gateway Pavilion at Volunteer Landing. (Knoxville Regional Visitors’ Center) “The site of the Holston Treaty, Volunteer Landing was destined to become a waterfront destination that residents and visitors of Knoxville could enjoy daily. In 1988, a Waterfront Task Force was established to study and develop recommendations for the protection, enhancement, and development of the seven-mile stretch of waterfront space along the Tennessee River. One of the Task...
Dates: 1995 - 2007

Architectural Plans for the Knoxville Custom House and Post Office (Photocopies from the National Archives) (sheet 10 only)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0014
Scope and Contents Architectural Plans for the Knoxville Custom House and Post Office. (Photocopies from the National Archives) (Sheet 10, Elevation of the Prince Street (west) side of the Custom House
Dates: 1874

Architectural plans for the residence of Mr. N. E. Logan (copies) (Gift of Mr. & Mrs. Robert F. Samples)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0002
Scope and Contents Architectural plans for the residence of Mr. N. E. Logan, Lyons View, 1929. Frank O. Barber, architect. 5 sheets ( ground floor, first floor, second floor, garden front & north front elevations, east end and west end elevations). Photocopies.
Dates: 1929

Barber and McMurry Architectural Records (through 1959)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0030
Scope and Contents Architectural drawings of Barber & McMurry Architects, Knoxville, through 1959. The plans and some renderings are available. Specifications were not provided. Plans are arranged in these groups: General 208; Churches 121; Residences 376; Schools 133; Total 838 Charles I. Barber (1887-1962) was the son of Knoxville architect George Franklin Barber. Charles was born in Dekalb, Illinois shortly before the family removed to Knoxville. He attended the Baker-Himel School in Knoxville and attended...
Dates: 1915 - 1959

Baumann & Baumann Architectural Plans

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0007
Scope and Contents Albert B. Baumann (1861-1942), architect, son of William and Catherine (Schneider) Baumann, was born in Knoxville, Tennessee. William Baumann (1813-1875) came to America with his parents about 1835 and in 1837 married Catherine Schneider, whose family had emigrated from Germany around the same time. The young couple went to Savannah, Georgia, where William Baumann was a ship designer and builder. Then they returned to East Tennessee; one son, Joseph F., was born in 1844 in Tellico Plains...
Dates: 1890s-1950s

Broadway Market elevation drawings, Knoxville, Tenn.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0004
Scope and Contents 1. Broadway Market, City of Knoxville, Tenn. Scale 3/16” to 1’ Fron[t] elevation. 60 x 18.”Bond copy made from a deteriorating blueprint, which was destroyed after copying. 2. Broadway Market, City of Knoxville, Tenn. Scale 3/16” to 1’ Front elevation. 37 x 6.” 3. Bearden Place. Broadway Market. End elevation. Xerox on bond. 30 x 12.” (Plans for buildings that may not have been built)
Dates: undated

Brookside Mills -- plans, specifications, and photographs

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0011
Scope and Contents 2 sets of architectural plans (Office Building and Settlement House), 5 sets of specifications, 4 Brookside Mills cotton labels, and photographs of Brookside Mills structures (2 interior, 3 exterior, 1 postcard). Plans by L. C. Waters, Knoxville architect.
Dates: 1900 - 1912

Caswell Park Grandstand [Smithson Stadium] plans by Manley & Young (Photocopies)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0008
Scope and Contents Caswell Park Grandstand [Smithson Stadium] plans by Manley & Young. (photocopies) made from microfilm by City of Knoxville, Department of Engineering via William E. Cole. 5 sheets (very faint).
Dates: 1950

Dulin House project

 Collection
Identifier: Q Ephemera 2020.004
Scope and Contents “Dulin Gallery of Art: The Former Residence of Mr. and Mrs. H. L. Dulin 3100 Kingston Pike Knoxville Tennessee” ARCH 201 Summer Project by Ward Seymour.

4 charcoal drawings (14” x 16.5”) 3 interior, 1 exterior

8 pen-and-ink drawings (22.5” x 28.5”) site plan, 1st floor plan, 2nd floor plan, front elevation, rear elevation, 3 pages of details
Dates: unknown

East Main Avenue Methodist Church, Knoxville, Tenn.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0015
Scope and Contents East Main Avenue Methodist Church, Knoxville, Tenn. Architectural plans and drawings. W. A. Rutherford, 1945. The plans are blueprints. Some photostats very discolored and discarded.
Dates: 1945

East Tennessee History Center, Custom House as built plans 2005

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0026
Scope and Contents Custom House as built plans 2005. (final version) (East Tennessee History Center). Started 2001, completed 2004/05. Barber & McMurry, Architects. Received ca. 2014 via Malcolm Rogers.
Dates: 2005

Ed Green Architectural Plans

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0041
Scope and Contents Ed Green architectural plans. Plans selected by the donor as among his best and favorite projects from work on residences and churches. Formerly principal Ed Green & Associates
Dates: 1972 - 2002

George F. Barber architectural drawings of Duncan house (copies)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0029
Scope and Contents George F. Barber architectural drawings of Duncan house. Blueline copies.
Dates: undated

George F. Barber architectural plans for the Dr. Julius J. Boeheim residence, Du Quoin, Ill., currently owned by Jane Minton

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0020
Scope and Contents George F. Barber plans and elevations for the Dr. Julius J. Boeheim residence, Du Quoin, Ill.,, currently owned by Jane Minton
Dates: undated (ca. 1905)

George F. Barber architectural plans for the John A. Parsons residence, Leipsic, Ohio

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0021
Scope and Contents George F. Barber architectural plans for the John A. Parsons residence, Leipsic, Ohio, now owned by Becky Shawber.

Drawings: 1) Front Elevation 2) Right Side Elevation 3) Left Side Elevation 4) Rear Elevation 5) First Floor Plan 6) Second Floor Plan 7) Roof Plan 8) Foundation Plan 9) Main Staircase Views 10) Kitchen Cupboard and Door Views
Dates: undated (ca. 1905)

George F. Barber plans for the William Peters residence and one drawing for the Peters & Bradley Mill. Gift of Chester Kilgore.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0033
Scope and Contents 1. One blueline plan of Peters & Bradley Mill Company, Storage Bin addition. 20.75 x 23” dated 3/14/11 2. Six blueprint sheets for the Mr. Will Peters [residence] (now 1319 Grainger Avenue), Knoxville, Tenn. By George F. Barber & Co., Architects. (removed from wooden dowel): front elevation, left side elevation (Both 19.75 x 14”); first floor plan, second floor plan, roof plan, foundation plan (all 20 x 15.5”). 3. On architect’s tracing paper, house detail. 2...
Dates: 1880s; 1911

Historic Rugby Plans

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0045
Scope and Contents Original drawings down by Eugene E. Burr, Architect for several buildings in Rugby Tennessee:

Folder 1: Rugby Visitors Center (1983/1984) - floor plans, sections, location map, elevations - Job Number 8314; 9 sheets --- Rugby Amphitheater (1987) - location plan, section, plan - Job Number P8717; 1 sheet --- Rugby Boundary and Topographic Survey (1983)

Folders 2 & 3: Historic Rugby Village Center (1983) - Job Number 8300; 40 sheets
Dates: 1983 - 1987

Hubert Bebb Architectural Plans from Community Tectonics

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0017
Scope and Contents Hubert Bebb (1903-1984) was a native of Illinois. He received his training as an architect at Cornell University’s College of Architecture where he graduated in 1928. Working with classmate Nathaniel Owings, Bebb created designs for the 1933 Chicago World’s Fair. In the 1940s Bebb worked for the Chicago firm of Armstrong, Furst, and Tillotson. In 1950 Bebb moved to Gatlinburg and spent the next thirty years of his life working in East Tennessee. His design for the Clingman’s Dome viewing tower...
Dates: 1950 - 1980

Jake F. Butcher home (”Whirlwind”), Anderson County, Tennessee. (Gift via John P. Carter Co.)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0018
Scope and Contents “Whirlwind” the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jake F. Butcher, Anderson County, Tennessee. Black line copies of blue prints by Community Tectonics, Inc., 1972. 4 sheets
Dates: 1972

Journal and Tribune Building Architectural Plans (”Arcade Building”)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0043
Scope and Contents The Journal & Tribune Building was designed by R. F. Graf, local Knoxville architect. The plans were found in the building itself. This is the only known set of existing plans done by R. F. Graf.

Folder 1: Rendering plus 9 sheets of original plans Folder 2: Addition to Journal & Tribune Building, 1923 revision
Dates: 1920s

L. C. Waters Collection

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0001
Scope and Contents L. C. (Lewis Chalfont) Waters (1866-1941) was a native of Jonesboro, Clayton County, Georgia. He was the son of Rev. Richard Waters and Jane Leland Fayette Turner Waters. By 1883 the family had moved to Atlanta. Lewis was listed in the 1886 Atlanta city directory as an “architect.” In 1886 Lewis was listed as a draughtsman with T. C Maddox & Son of Birmingham, Alabama, “Architects, Superintendents, & Sanitary Engineers.” By 1890 L C. Waters was back in Atlanta again listed as an...
Dates: 1901 - 1927

Lawson McGhee Library, Architectural Plans, Additions

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0023
Scope and Contents Lawson McGhee Library, Architectural Plans, Additions (1952) Bealer & Wilhoit, Journal Bldg., Knoxville, Tenn., Blue line prints
Dates: 1952

Lawson McGhee Library, Architectural Plans, Proposed Additions

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0024
Scope and Contents Lawson McGhee Library, Architectural Plans, Proposed Additions (1951) Bealer & Wilhoit, Knoxville, Tenn. architects
Dates: 1951

Lawson McGhee Library. Blue Line Plans for Lawson McGhee Library, Bruce McCarty & Associates Architects (Public Library Collection)

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0010
Scope and Contents Blue line plans for Lawson McGhee Library, Bruce McCarty & Associates Architects. (This folder is part the Public Library Collection.) Plans include: (set 1:) Details, (set 2:) Architectural, structural, mechanical/plumbing, and electrical drawings. March 18, 1969. Folder contains 2 sets of plans.
Dates: 1971

L&N Railroad Architectural Drawings Pertaining to Railroad Stations in Knoxville and East Tenn.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0019
Scope and Contents List Of L&N Railroad Architectural Drawings Pertaining To Knoxville and East Tennessee Knoxville: 1. Detail of Fence around Station. 1904 2. Detail of Carving on Face of Ticket Office Windows. 1904 3. Detail of Balcony Railing...Knoxville Passenger Station. 1904 4. Detail of Cut Stone Trim...Second Floor Windows over Dining Room. 1904 5. Detail of Ornamental Plaster Work.... 1904 6. Supports for Balcony of Ladies and Negroes Waiting Rooms. 1904 7. Plan of...Drinking Fountain.... 1904 8....
Dates: 1881 - 1917

Market House & Public Hall plans by Baumann Bros. Architects. Also, Masonic Temple magazine rack plans.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0035
Scope and Contents Reproducible copies of the original plans of the Market House and Public Hall, Knoxville, Tenn. Baumann Bros., Architects. No date. Plans include four oversize sheets of the Market House & Public Hall (3 are 30” x 7.5’; one is 24” x 7.5’): First floor plan and Second floor plan; Foundation plan and Third floor plan; Side elevation; Side elevation. Also, three 24 x 18” plans for the Market House & Public Hall: section through South End; section at center stairway; section of Market...
Dates: 1897

Morton & Sweetser Architectural Plans

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0003
Scope and Contents James Coulson Morton (1912 -1975) came from his native Toronto, Canada to work with the Knoxville architectural firm of Bealer & Wilhoit on Glocker Hall at the University of Tennessee. In 1953 when the principals of the original firm retired, Morton and another associate, C. A. Sweetser took over the firm, renamed Morton & Sweetser. Among projects done by the firm are the Civic Auditorium Coliseum and the Safety Building. Plans include --Austin High School Vocational Shop Building...
Dates: 1947 - 1972

Norris, Tennessee and other Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) architectural plans and drawings by Osborne H. Graves, T 12, Fountain City, Tenn.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0013
Scope and Contents Blue Line Drawings: 1. Preliminary General Study, Potential Recreation Area., Hamilton County, Tenn. 5-29-1936. 2. Wheeler Dam Reservation, Public Parking Area and Vicinity. 2-9-1938. 3. Norris Dam Quarry Landing, Plot Plan for Comfort Station. 1-9-1938. 4. Norris Dam Town Site, Planting Plan for the School and Vicinity. 3-1-1935. 5. Norris Dam Town Site, Grading Plan Business Center. 7-21-1934. (Blue lines 3 23x35; 2 39.5x54 inches) Photostats: 1. Plan of Development, Town...
Dates: 1934 - 1938

Old Knox County Courthouse (court house) Re-use.

 Collection
Identifier: APD 0025
Scope and Contents Old Knox County Courthouse Re-use. Burr/Green Associated Architects. Renovation and restoration plans for the Knox County Courthouse (b. 1885)
Dates: 1986