Pi Beta Phi Settlement School map
Scope and Contents
Hand-drawn map of the grounds of the Pi Beta Phi Settlement School in Gatlinburg, Tenn. Map is on blue paper with red ink. "E. Prouty Lewis, Colorado Alpha '40, Copyright, 1943"
Conditions Governing Use
Material is available for research. Prior arrangement MUST be made by contacting the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection at email@example.com
Biographical / Historical
Pi Beta Phi Settlement School was started in March 1912 by Pi Beta Phi women's fraternity as a national service project. School teachers and administrators also incorporated training in woodcrafts and weaving as well garden and farm training. Handcrafted items were marketed nationally under the name Arrowcraft beginning in the mid-1920s. In 1943, Seveir County began taking academic control of the school and Pi Beta Phi leaders began establishing a summer craft program at the college level. In 1964, Pi Beta Phi fraternity voted to foud a year-round arts and crafts center with the name Arrowmont and Sevier County School system absorbed the elementary and high-school programs. (from Tennessee Encyclopedia)
1 folder ; 11" x 14"
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection Repository
601 S Gay Street
Knoxville Tennessee 37902 United States