Jefferson County, Tenn. Deeds and land grants. A series of 10 documents relating to a tract of land passing through the Gordon and Formwalt families.
Scope and Contents
110. The following land grant group consists of 10 documents from the George Gordon soldier’s grant in Jefferson County. A. Territory South of River Ohio, 1792. Green Co., survey for Geo. Gordon war land grant. Hand drawn plot, handwritten doc., signed by Hart? Armstrong, surveyor and John Shield. Sep. at fold. B. Tenn., Jeff. Co. 1794, Orig. N.C. Land Grant to Geo. Gordon, (see above) soldiers land grant, orig. in Greene Co., surveyed by Martin Armstrong. Signed by N. C. Gov. Richard Dobbs Spaight. Signed by Jas. Roddye, Jeff. Co. Register, 1794, and R. Sheppard D?, Sec. Greene Co. Sep. at folds, holes. C. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1801, Deed of Conveyance from Geo. Gordon to John Formwalt for old land grant property. Signed Geo. Gordon, Benj. Wheeler, Adam Formwalt, Saml. Lyle, Dandridge, 1806. D. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1801, Relinquishment of claim from Geo. and Robt. C. Gordon to John Formwalt. Old land grant property. Signed Geo. and Robt. Gordon, Benj. Wheeler, Adam Formwalt and John Love at Dandridge, 1806. Sep. at folds with holes. E. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1802, printed indenture, John Formwalt to Jacob Formwalt and Nicholas Karns, the old Gordon land grant plantation, signed Francis Fluhart, Wm. Bowen, Saml. Lyle, and Judge Hugh L. White. F. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1809, printed and written land indenture, Nicholas Kearns and Jacob Farmwalt. Farmwalt buys the old Geo. Gordon plantation on north side of French Broad River, orig. N. C. land grant, 1794. Signed by Nicholas Carns, John McCampbell, Th. Davis, Saml. Lyle, Mathias M. Girk, Jos. Hamilton and David Barton, P. N. Jacob. G. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1814, Indenture, Jacob Farmwalt to Michael McGuire, land mentioned above, signed by Jos. Nicholson, Daniel Lyle, Patrick McGuire, Jos. Hamilton Jr., Saml. Lyle, Geo. Branner. Handwritten document, sep. at folds. H. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1826, State of Tenn. land grant to Michael McGuire. Official printed document, signed by Gov. Wm. Carroll, Secy., Daniel Graham, D. P. Armstrong. Seal affixed. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1840 Land indenture and deed, Jos. Nicholson to Michael McGuire. Grahams Mill creek property. 4 page document contains the indenture and the deed on separate pages. Signed by Jos. Nicholson, James Fullers, Jos. Hamilton. Done at Dandridge. I. Tenn., Jeff Co., 1860, State of Tenn. land grant to Silas M. McGuire. Official printed document, signed in 1867 by Gov. W. G Brownlow and A. J. Fletcher, Secy., Geo. A. Rainwater, Reg. Jeff. Co. J. Tenn., Jeff. Co., 1860, Location Entry document of Silas M. McGuire for land of Michael McGuire, Decd., old Gordon land grant from 1794, known as Lones (or Jones) Branch. Signed J.A. Swann.
Conditions Governing Access
Material is available for research. Prior arrangement MUST be made by contacting the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection at firstname.lastname@example.org
10 manuscript documents
- Deeds Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Formwalt family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Gordon family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Land grants Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jefferson County, Tenn. Deeds and land grants. A series of 10 documents relating to a tract of land passing through the Gordon and Formwalt families.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script