Hugh Allen Papers (genealogy).
Identifier: MSC 0593
Scope and Contents
Hugh Allen was a native of Newport, Cocke County, Tennessee. He was a newspaper columnist for the Knoxville News Sentinel for almost thirty-five years. Hugh attended Maryville College and graduated from Pace Business College in New York. His humorous newspaper columns and cartoons were favorite features of the newspaper from 1941 until he retired in 1964. Hugh Allen died on June 11, 1975 at the age of 76 and was buried in Newport Union Cemetery in Cocke County. Boxes 1-5: This collection includes the genealogical research of Hugh Allen on families of Cocke County and other East Tennessee counties. Box 6: newspapers and clippings from Cocke and Sevier Counties. Box 7: manuscript deeds and legal papers from Cocke County, 1810-1889, and from Greene County, 1780-1899. Box 8: personal papers of Hugh Allen.
Conditions Governing Access
Material is available for research during normal business hours of the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection. No appointment necessary for viewing.
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cocke County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Greene County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hugh Allen Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hugh Allen Papers (genealogy).
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script