Arnold Schwarzbart Collection.
Scope and Contents
The collection includes documents, photographs, posters, printing plates, architectural plans, and artifacts.
- Creation: 1951 - 2015
Conditions Governing Access
Material is available for research. Prior arrangement MUST be made by contacting the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection at email@example.com
Biographical / Historical
Schwarzbart, Arnold, Avrum ‘Sruel ben Yitzchak Aryeh v Frumme Ratzah, age 73, of Knoxville, beloved husband of Mary Linda and devoted friend, passed away on Monday morning, March 16, 2015, at home. Arnold was born in Russia during World War II and began school in Vienna. In 1951, he came to Knoxville with the help of his grandfather’s cousin, Max Friedman, knowing no English. His family joined Heska Amuna Synagogue, where he was bar mitzvahed and confirmed. Arnold was the loving son of the late Frieda Gruenberg Schwarzbart and Isadore Schwarzbart. Arnold was a graduate of East High School and a member of the first class of the Knoxville East High School Alumni Association Hall of Fame. He was a member of the first graduating class of the University of Tennessee School of Architecture and a partner in the firm GSW and later Wilcox and Schwarzbart. Two of his favorite projects designed were the Knoxville Zoo and the L T Ross Building, home of the Knoxville-Knox County CAC. Arnold left his architecture work in the early 1980s, moving into creating artwork based on our Jewish ritual items and our texts. Many local organizations benefited from Arnold’s leadership and skills. He was past president of AEPi Fraternity, Arnstein Jewish Community Center, and the Knoxville Jewish Federation. He served as president and board chair for Heska Amuna Synagogue. He chaired the committee to merge the AJCC and the KJF, forming the Knoxville Jewish Alliance. Additional memberships included Arts and Culture Alliance, Southern Highlands Craft Guild, and American Guild of Judaic Art, as well as being an Hadassah Associate.
5 boxes : the colleciton is still under creation
Language of Materials
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection Repository
601 S Gay Street
Knoxville Tennessee 37902 United States