Ellen Capito Collection ( Milligan family, Greeneville, Tenn.).
Identifier: MSC 0492
Scope and Contents
Papers of Sam Milligan and the Milligan family of Greene County, Tenn. Includes the manuscript memoir “Private Family Missal in which is Recorded Many Incidents of Private Interest by Sam Milligan.” The memoir records the author’s account of events, thoughts, and opinions for his children; includes an index at the front, a detailed account of his education in Greeneville and his service in the Mexican-American War, editing the newspaper “The Greeneville Spy,” and events of the Civil War including an account of the bridge burners. The narrative ends in 1868. A detailed biography by Joseph Fowler with an account of his friendship with Andrew Johnson. Milligan family history and obituaries. Manuscript poetry by M. Milligan. Newspaper clippings, photographs, pamphlets and books. Sam Milligan (1814-1874) was a native of Greene County, Tennessee. He graduated from Tusculum College in 1843 where he was a classmate of Oliver Perry Temple and read law in Greeneville under Robert J. McKinney. He served a number of terms in the Tennessee legislature and became a warm friend of Andrew Johnson during these years. He held a number of public offices, was a judge on the Tennessee Supreme Court and a judge in the Court of Claims in Washington.
Conditions Governing Access
Material is available for research. Prior arrangement MUST be made by contacting the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greene County (Tenn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Milligan family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sam Milligan Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tennessee History Civil War, 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ellen Capito Collection ( Milligan family, Greeneville, Tenn.).
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script