Skip to main content

St. Mary’s Hospital Collection (Gift of John M. Burkhart, MD).

Identifier: MSC 0317

Scope and Contents

Opened on April 22, 1930, St. Mary’s Memorial Hospital was built on Knoxville’s Oak Hill Avenue as the third Catholic hospital established in Tennessee. Through the leadership of the Sisters of Mercy, many landmark additions were made to the hospital over the years including the East Tennessee Cancer Clinic in 1937 and the first cerebral palsy clinic in East Tennessee in 1948. Many notable doctors and staff worked for St. Mary’s over the years including Drs. Herbert Acuff, Jacob Bradsher, & David Hoey. After 88 years of service, St. Mary’s closed on December 28, 2018 after a financial struggle. Materials from St. Mary’s donated to the McClung Collection are contained in two boxes. Box one contains three scrapbooks, two compact disks, and oversized folders of photographs and scanned newspaper articles. Box two contains ten folders of various materials including photographs, newspaper clippings, booklets, pamphlets, letters, and other ephemera. Two books that were donated with the collection can be found through the library catalog.


  • 1927-2019

Conditions Governing Access

Material is available for research. Prior arrangement MUST be made by contacting the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection at


2 boxes


--Photograph and obituary of Dr. Jacob T. Bradsher, donated by Dr. Burkhart with this collection in memory of Jacob T. Bradsher, MD --Scrapbook binding is extremely fragile and held together with string and tape. Scrapbook pages are brittle, and most are disconnected from binding. Other materials are in good condition.

St. Mary’s Hospital Collection (Gift of John M. Burkhart, MD).
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection Repository

601 S Gay Street
3rd floor
Knoxville Tennessee 37902 United States