Skip to main content

6th Ohio U. S. Volunteers Camp Site

 Collection
Identifier: SPC 2019.083

Scope and Contents

Photograph of Camp Poland. E. E. Swineford, Cincinnati, Ohio - photographer (photographer’s stamp in green on back) photo numbered 188 written on back in ink “Camp of the 6th Ohio U.S.N. -- Camp Poland, Knoxville Tenn.” written on back in pencil “The Dummy track runs just to the left of the picture”

Dates

  • 1898-1899

Conditions Governing Access

Material is available for research. Prior arrangement MUST be made by contacting the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection at mcclung-archivist@knoxlib.org

Extent

1 folder : 9” x 6.75” black and white photo mounted on board

Language of Materials

English

General

During the Spanish-American War, Camp Poland was established north of the city of Knoxville in 1898. The camp was located in the vicinity of Lonsdale on August 21, 1898. An armistice had been declared on August 12. The camp continued to receive and house troops in training until it was abandoned in January 1899 after the Treaty of Paris was signed December 12, 1898. The camp hospital at Turner Park did not close until mid-February 1899.
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Calvin M. McClung Historical Collection Repository

Contact:
601 S Gay Street
3rd floor
Knoxville Tennessee 37902 United States
865.215.8814